PROPER CLEANSING IS OFTEN OVERLOOKED
Yet, the most boring step is often the most important one.
Without proper cleansing:
- your subsequent efforts and investment in expensive essences or serums, would yield weaker results.
- applying essences/ serums/ cream on skin that hasn’t been properly cleansed, will often result in acne.
- It might also result in the weakening of your natural skin barrier.
THERE ARE 4 KEY FACTORS TO PROPER CLEANSING:
- A Effective but gentle cleanser
- One that doesn’t strip your skin and leave it squeaky clean. Squeaky clean is not a good place for your skin. Ultra dry and tight skin means excessive sebum production later on, and this causes acne and/or early signs of wrinkles.
- A cleanser free from harmful and harsh chemicals. Some chemicals might give you fast results, but are often the very ingredient that causes skin problems and imbalances.
- Slow down, be gentle and mindful in your technique.
- Small circular motions with your fingertips
- Avoid tugging downwards
- Upward strokes are better
- Do not rub your face dry with a towel. Pat it dry
- Temperature of the water
- Hot water isn’t good for skin. It is ultra-drying.
- Cool water is often the better choice.
Very simple steps but often overlooked in our hurry to move on to the next thing on our to-do list.
The real secret here is to slow down and to be mindful with each step.
And that, is difficult, for many of us.